It is situated next to the cemetery of the fallen in the yard of Kibbutz Negba. It is a large bronze monument and stands out in its surroundings.
The monument symbolizes the heroism of the kibbutz members who gave their lives for the country in the War of Independence, and is a token of the brotherhood of the soldiers.
The sculpture depicts three ideal archetypes of heroism which link with the Israeli ethos: the fighting sabra, a farmer and a nurse. The three stand next to each other holding hands.
Their fingers are intertwined and symbolize “we won’t let them pass”. Their stance portrays physical and spiritual determination, their heads held high with pride, their faces project strength and determination, and their gaze is cast towards the horizon (the future) in hope. The youngsters clutch their weapons and agricultural work tools, to highlight the principle of making the desert flourish, and of defense, which brought about the founding of the state.
A audio explanation is available at the site.
The Military Cemetery at Negba
Situated in the yard of Kibbutz Negba. 37 of the 43 soldiers who fell in the battles for the kibbutz in the War of Independence are buried here. The cemetery also contains the grave of Yitzhak Dubno, who was known as Yo'av.
The monument to the Negba defenders overlooks the cemetery.
The Egyptian Tank at Negba
This is a substitute for the Egyptian tank which was stopped south of the kibbutz on July 12 1948.
The tank was given to the children of Negba as a present by the IDF. Their parents heroically opposed the Egyptian army in 1948, hit a number of tanks with a PIAT (anti-tank gun) and captured the Egyptian tank which was employed by the IDF.
The Shell Scarred Water Tower
The water tower was built in 1940.
The tower was hit on May 22 1948, since when it has been used as an observation tower.
The water tower was hit by enemy mortar, and remained standing as a memento of the heavy fire which Kibbutz Negba withstood in the War of Independence.